01 July 2009

I think I'm allergic to holidays

It sounds funny, sure. I think it's funny. But it's becoming a trend I simply cannot ignore, especially as it seems to be genetic and thus passed on to J. Every year, I will become ill for a major holiday. Not always the same holiday, not even the same illness. But it will happen. As a child, I had pneumonia over Christmas, chicken pox for my birthday (which counts as a major holiday. . . all birthdays do), ear infections for literally every holiday on the calendar. . . any time of the year. As I grew older, I thought I'd grown out of it. I thought I had a stomach bug for Labor Day the first year I was married, but it turned out I was pregnant. I had strep throat the next Fourth of July. J's first birthday and our first big to-do in the house, I had strep AND an ear infection. I couldn't even eat the food I had fixed. J and I have both had ear infections over Christmas, and three Thanksgivings ago I had a miscarriage. Well, the Fourth of July is on Saturday. It's my favorite holiday of the year because it's the one we always get to host. We have a big yard, and typically have a great view of the city's fireworks display (they moved it this year. . . bastards). We have family and friends over for a BYO- event. Kids, drinks, fireworks, and at least one side dish. We supply burgers, dogs, and sno-cones. And water balloons. hee hee What does this have to do with the topic, you ask? I've been working like a dog to get things ready for this weekend. My flower beds are weeded. I've potted flowers and put them outside. I'm getting mulch today to spread tomorrow. I'm going to the store today or tomorrow to get the food. And I'm sick. . . I've got some evil head cold that just won't quit. I've been running a fever, not that you can tell it when I've been outside for 8 hours a day in the 90+ heat. I'm hoping to beat it into submission before Saturday. Push comes to shove, D is off on Friday and will be home helping to get things ready. Maybe I can get lots of sleep on Friday if I'm not better yet. The tequila in the margaritas on Saturday will help kill the germs. ;-) lol

Now then, other updates. . .

Nora is a horrible mother. We moved the two kittens and Nora to the barn shortly after they were born Monday. They were still alive yesterday. One was alive this morning. I refuse to go into the barn. I can't afford to cause my nose to run any more than it already is, and if I see the kittens, I'll cry.

Sea Monkey, J's "goldfish" he won at VBS, died last night/this morning. J does not know yet. I've got to figure out just what kind of fish he was so I can replace him.

I went outside with J this morning and we finished up a few things and watered plants before the heat got to them. We cleaned up a few things and even (push) mowed a couple of spots I had removed plants from to pot. While we were doing this, C was inside playing his PS2. I don't know why I'm shocked. . . he has no desire to help with anything here. Ever. I guess I'm just pissed because he spent all day yesterday at D's sister's house helping her spread mulch. Asked D if he could spend the night over there Monday in order to do this. But wouldn't help us do a damn thing here. I'm tired of fighting over it, about it, or with him. So I don't. I just let it go and let him do whatever he is going to do, because that's the ulitmate outcome anyway. I can tell him to do something, ask him to do something, and he won't do it. I mention it to D, he asks C if he was told to do something, he'll answer 'yes,' D will ask why he didn't, C will say he didn't want to or whatever, and D just lets it go. I am at the point where I'm ready to tell D not to leave C here if I'm to be in charge since I have no authority over him. I can't be responsible for someone who will not listen to me.

I'm off now to clean up and hopefully collect this month's van payment from D's sister. That way I can go buy my mulch and the groceries for this weekend, and then D can do the digging for me this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment