26 June 2009

Week in Review, Disney Style

I know you're shocked to learn that, every year, I am given a 365 Days of Disney calendar for Christmas. It's a page-a-day style, with a scene and quote or bit of trivia. I LOVE these calendars. I keep them to use in art projects later on. I have five years' worth in my desk drawer. I look forward to this present every year.

I've decided that on Fridays, I want to go through the pages from the past week and what they say. Sometimes they are very appropriate to what's been going on with me.

Monday, June 22:
scene: Bernard and Bianca, flying in the sardine can on Orville the Albatross' back.
caption: The Rescuers, released June 22, 1977
quote: "He just went through a red light." (Bernard) "Oh, I do that all the time, darling." (Bianca)
*I'll interject here that Bernard was voiced by Bob Newhart and Bianca was voiced by Eva Gabor.


Tuesday, June 23:
scene: Pocahontas looking at her father
caption: Pocahontas, release June 23, 1995
trivia: Chief Powhatan gives his daughter Pocahontas the necklace her mother wore at their wedding. It was her mother's dream that Pocahontas would wear it at her own wedding one day.

* Fitting because June 23 is our wedding anniversary.


Wednesday, June 24:
scene: Scar, with Zazu's beak protruding from his mouth.
caption: The Lion King, released June 24, 1994
quote: "Impeccable timing, your majesty!" - Zazu, when Mufasa saves him from being eaten by Scar

* Perhaps my favorite Disney feature.


Thursday, June 25:
scene: Stitch with an oven-sized and -shaped cake
caption: Lilo & Stitch, released June 21, 2002
trivia: Stitch seems to believe if he's going to the trouble of baking a cake, he's not going to waste an inch of space in the oven.

* This is hilarious to me for two reasons. 1) that the cake even has ridges in it to match the lines on the side where the racks sit. 2) because it reminds of the episode of I Love Lucy when Lucy and Ethel bake bread ("Pioneer Days"). Classic comedy.


Friday, June 26:
scene: WALL-E picking up another lighter
caption: WALL-E, released June 27, 2008
trivia: The hero of this film is a Waste Allocation Load Lifter, Earth class, but you can call him WALL-E for short.

* WALL-E makes me sad because I can see that being our future. I can see our B&L (Wal-Mart) helping us destroy our planet and promoting our laziness, gluttony, and otherwise ovine behavior. I might should note that this is not the first time I've read politics into a simple movie. I also read Biblical allusions into most films. It's a gift.

1 comment:

  1. Don't think you had to read too much into Wall-E. It was political... overtly so!

    ReplyDelete