24 May 2009

What is Love? Baby Don't Hurt Me, Don't Hurt Me No More

"You didn't 'put me out.' If it was going to put me out, I wouldn't do it."

Gee, doesn't that make me just warm and fuzzy inside. Those words came from my husband's mouth this morning after I thanked him for (grudgingly) rubbing lotion on my sunburned back.

It made me wonder, though. Isn't the point of marriage, or any relationship in which you love the other person really, to do things for them or in their best interest even if it means that you put yourself out? I know that, during the course of the average day, I put myself out numerous times for D, C, and J. And, except for when J wants apple juice or milk at 6:30 on Saturday morning and it's an unopened jug so he needs help opening it, I don't mind putting their needs and wants before mine. (I am NOT a morning person, and regardless of when I wake up or even get out of bed, my brain does not kick in until 9am.)

So, I wonder, am I the anomaly or is he? Is it normal to consider it an act of love to put others before yourself, or is it normal to refuse to go out of your way for someone you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment