20 July 2010

You, Me, & Dupree

I'm deviating from my song titles and lyrics and devoting the theme of this post to a movie... if you haven't seen You, Me & Dupree yet, I encourage you to rent, Red Box, or Netflix it. It describes my life. D has a friend... he is our Dupree. Only not as cute. Or as funny.

He shows up daily, before I even get home from work. He expects to eat dinner here nightly... but doesn't offer to help cook, buy groceries, or clean up. He likes to claim to be "part of the family," yet he doesn't pull any weight around here. We store his extra "stuff" in our barn - for free. We let him keep his jet ski here - for free. All of this happened when he moved out of a neighboring rental house and into an apartment. He stores his lawn mowing equipment in our barn - you guessed it, for free. He "helps" D coach baseball, and bums rides to all the practices and games with us... yet never manages to help buy gas. He is single, he is employed (thanks to D getting him a job), and he mooches off of us. D and I have to tell him that we are going to bed at 9:00 to get him to leave by 10:00 in order to have ANY time together alone. Time alone for either of us happens at work.

I'm a little frustrated by him. This month, things are tight. Probably the tightest they've been in years for us. I am working daily, needing lunch for a change (when I stayed at home, I nibbled all day long). J is in ESP, which costs tuition plus field trip fees weekly. D still needs to eat while he's working. I am using three times as much gas driving J to the back-up site for ESP (no idea why our school isn't available again yet). All of this costs money. Money that, in theory, we are both earning. In reality, I do not get paid until the last business day of the month. And I'm having to feed ANOTHER grown man on my tiny food budget?!? As it is, I'm not sure what will happen next week when C is home from camp. I'm hoping he spends most of that time with D's parents, because he won't eat all vegetables and fruit like J will.

Off to tend the latest crisis... it appears that Daisy, our beagle, has had an anxiety attack or something worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment